Staff Picks: Games
At iSpark Toys, we have the distinct pleasure of being able to play with the coolest toys and games available. So, we thought it would be only fair to share with you some of our favorite games. You can find these games, and much, much more in our Games & Puzzles Section. Or better yet, visit us in the store to play these games with us.
- Even Steven’s Odd – This is a perfect party game, as well as a great way to practice number and pattern recognition. It is fast paced, and can be played by anywhere from 2-4 players with one set. You can add more players by simply getting a second (or third if you’re very popular) set.
- Quoridor – A 2-player strategy game with a simple premise: Move your pawn to the opponent’s baseline before they can get to yours. At every turn, you can move your pawn, or add to the maze to block your opponent. Minutes (if not seconds) to learn, lifetime to master.
- Qwirkle Cubes – This is like Scrabble with shapes and colors. Instead of words, you’re trying to complete combinations of shapes and colors. 2 to 4 players play the game completely open ended, so you can analyze your opponents’ future moves too.
- Ubongo – Think Tetris, but played against the clock and up to 3 opponents. Then add some gems to it (don’t ask us why). What you end up with Ubongo, a very fast-paced puzzle solving game that can be played solo, with the family, or at a party. Great for practicing pattern recognition and spatial reasoning.
- Pyramix – This is a three sided strategy game where you take apart a pyramid block-by-block and score points based on the blocks you end up with. Pyramix is a very simple game to learn, and fairly quick to play (5-10 minutes) by 2-4 players. It does, however, take some time to master the strategy, which gives it great “re-playability.”
- Kahuna – Another great strategy game for 2 players. Players fight for control of 12 islands by building bridges of their own, or destroying opponent’s bridges. The player with more islands controlled at the end of each round scores points, and three rounds make a game.
- Niya – A 2 player abstract strategy game that is quick to play and a lot of fun.
- Sushi Draft – A strategy game for the whole family (3 to 5 players), and a great introduction to pick-and-pass games.